The Assistant Production Manager is responsible for assisting in daily production operations to include harvest, fabrication and processing of meat. The Assistant Production Manager will be responsible for verifying that all food safety programs are being followed and that products are safe and of high quality. The Assistant Production Manager will assist the manager in oversight of the meats operational budget and maintenance of the facility. This individual will also assist in the training and supervision of the student workers in daily operations.
Operations of the Vandal Brand Meats Center by:
• Ensuring daily processing operations are done following SOP’s, GMP’s and SSOP’s as outlined. Oversees Daily
• Ensuring proper safety principles and proper animal handling are enforced. • Ensuring production records, food safety records and other monitoring actions are completed as required. • Maintaining good working relationship with USDAFSIS personnel. • Assisting in the marketing of meat and meat products, and maintaining a good working relationship with customers. • Assisting with financial transactions such as deposits and budget transfers as needed.
Oversee Meat Lab Staff by:
• Training and supervising student employees on a daily basis. • Reporting to and working with the manager on employee issues.
Participate in Learning Opportunities for Students and Provide Research Support by:
• Setting up laboratory sections of courses at the Meat Lab. • Assisting in Extension-based workshops for processors, producers and others. • Supporting research activities at the lab and assist PI’s, graduate students and industry personnel in the accomplishment of said research. • Participating in meats-related educational opportunities such as FFA and 4-H events, tours and other activities enhancing the exposure of Vandal Brand Meats.
• Keeping up to date on training and certificates, and assist with other duties when needed.
• Education and Experience: B.S. in animal science, food science or other agricultural emphasis or equivalent.
• Experience in a meat processing facility.
• Completed HACCP course and be certified within 6 months of employment.
• Experience in the operation of a USDA Inspected meat processing facility or University Meat Lab, including food safety requirements.
• MS in animal science or food science.
• Experience training/managing employees.
• Able to lift, carry and/or otherwise move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to work in cold environments and on concrete floors.
Listed degree qualification is required at time of application.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your “Letter of Qualification” must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates may be required to pass a criminal background check.
The University of Idaho (U of I) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, U of I does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, genetic information or status as any protected veteran or military status in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions and educational programs.
Additional Salary Information: Overtime Eligible
Internal Number: SP002108P
About University of Idaho
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.